Friday, October 24, 2008

What was I thinking?

This post just needs something pretty


My unofficial title here at home is... ahem... Undisputed Reminder of All Necessary Activities & Get-togethers", otherwise known as URANAG.

I have always taken my responsibilities very seriously, making sure my Dearly Beloved and I are where we are supposed to be, when we are supposed to be there.

It must be that the weather was about to change... or maybe planets somewhere were colliding... maybe I'm just not as good at my "job" as I think I am.

Yesterday, we left the house at 7:47 am for Grandparents Day in Belmont. This is a 2-hour trip and we needed to be there by 9:30. Obviously, we were going to be late. For the head URANAG, that was not acceptable, but what is, is, so we pushed the speed limit as much as we could and arrived only 5 minutes late.

There were little things along the way that should have set off some alarms.

  1. My daughter didn't call to check our arrival time.
  2. The "Welcome Grandparents" message wasn't on the school sign.
  3. The parking lot wasn't very full.
  4. The doors to the school were locked.


We finally figured out how to get into the school office, to have the secretary tell us that we weren't late at all! In fact, we were 6 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes early!

Argh!

All this begs the question, Would I have been as gracious as my husband was if he had made the same mistake?

Something to consider.

Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. I Corinthians 10:12

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing this summer. Hal's first appearance as Abe. The whole crew, Tad, and I prepared and showed up for an appearance with Abe. We found out we also were a week early! ugh!!!

It's an awful feeling!

Joel and Marcie Fenske said...

I showed up with my daughter 4 hours early to her friend's birthday party. The mother graciously invited us in. While I politely refused, my daughter escaped to the car. She was so embarrassed. Like you, I didn't question the strange things like... no cars in the driveway, and do birthday parties EVER start at 10:00 a.m. anyway?