Friday, October 10, 2008

Breakfast with Mama

A meal with my mother has always been an event.

Always at a table, properly set - no cartons or store packaging in sight (with the possible exception of ketchup) - on a beautiful tablecloth. I grew up assuming that was how dinner was served everywhere.

Years of dinners with my own family were much the same. It wasn't until I had an empty nest that I started to relax the "rules"... an occasional meal in front of the TV didn't seem so distasteful.

This past week, we spent a few days with my mother. Every morning we started the day at a breakfast table that was beautiful. It really didn't matter what was in the bowls, or on the plates, with flowers on the table and colorful place settings, it was a treat to arrive in the dining room.

Note the green antique pitcher
I think I'll quit being lazy. Gracious living is worth the effort.

But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing. II Thessalonians 3:13

2 comments:

Jen K. said...

I don't ever remember having a meal at Gram's when the table wasn't properly set. It just made you feel special. It's nice to know that she still does that. It also makes me think that maybe I should make more of an effort at my own table.

Joel and Marcie Fenske said...

So... with all Gram's etiquette, what did she think of you snapping those pictures from that angle? I can imagine her face, "Barbie! What ARE you doing?" :0)