Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wait... wait...

How can you tell a person that has no friends? Check out the produce department at your favorite grocery store. She's the one buying zucchini.

With that fact of Midwestern life firmly in my brain, I plant zucchini every year... hoping against hope that it will grow. It never does. This year, my plant produced 3 small zucchini - and two of those were pecked away by wild turkeys that wander through our yard.

I was rescued from a public admission of friendlessness, by a widower at church who generously shares everything that he grows... tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, and this week, grapes.


I accepted the 2 big bags of white and green seeded grapes, wondering what in the world I was going to do with them. (Zucchini is easy - there's bread and cake and pickles and casseroles!)

After a bit of searching, I found an old cookbook with a recipe for juice. It wasn't too complicated, so I washed, simmered, and strained the grapes.


Now I'm in the required 24 - 48 hour waiting period.

I did take a little taste while it was still hot... I'll let you know if there is some magic in the waiting. I sure hope so.

... the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let your patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. James 1:3,4

3 comments:

Joel and Marcie Fenske said...

Maybe you should start one that can be set aside and aged... in honor of Grey. He would like that.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had known....i just canned 45 quarts of grape juice. Are these concords? We all love it! We drank grape juice for a week straight! All natural cleansing! HA

Looking forward to see how you liked it! We love ours! c. nottingham

Anonymous said...

oops...that was a typo...i meant 25....sorry!