Friday, January 23, 2009

What do you think?

I answered the phone in the living room today, and as is my custom when I'm on the phone, I looked out the front window.

In the middle of winter, when the snow is not so sparkly white and the sky is dreary, this is what I see.


Many times while talking/listening, I have watched deer play in the lane - jumping the wire fence, wandering in and out of the trees, or just grazing.

Today... I was shocked to see this!


This is not a dog. My first notion was that it was a wolf. He jumped around in the snow, looked back at the trees and was joined by a second... um, wolf(?). I watched in disbelief for a couple of minutes and finally had the good sense to get my camera. "Wolf" #2 had disappeared, but #1 waited around until I finished the photo shoot.

I did some checking on wolves: they aren't very common in lower MI; they look a lot like coyotes; they are bigger than coyotes, but I wasn't close enough to measure their height and length.

So, what do you think? Wolf? Or coyote?

Me? I think I'll stay inside!

For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the Lord; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him. Psalm 12:5

4 comments:

Beth said...

Ok....I did some extensive photo comparisons and this one is a stumper! However....I will have to (against my better judgement) go with wolf. Coyotes and wolves are very similar except that wolves are bigger built and have a shorter nose. This one seems to fit that description. Just be carfeul whenever you have to go outside....!

Anonymous said...

I would call animal control and report it...just in case. One year we killed a huge boa in our back yard. Weird how such a snake would be in down town Ypsilanti. We called Animal control and apparently someone lost their pets...and there were more to come! Could it be fox? c. nottingham

cHim-prints said...

It's not a fox. We had one of those in the back yard a few years ago. This animal was much bigger than a fox.

Joel and Marcie Fenske said...

I just showed this picture to my husband and said, "Look! My mom has wolves at her house!" He said, without reading any of your writing, "NO, that's not a wolf, that's a coyote! They don't have wolves in MI." How did HE know?