Monday, June 16, 2008

Garden goodies

Most years I want to plant peas in early spring... but life gets busy, the date goes by, and then it's too warm for peas to thrive. Not this year! I have vines covered with colorful blossoms. And today? Peas! Ready for harvest. Yummm.

snow peas ready for picking
Another great idea that rarely gets farther than the light-bulb-over-the-head in my garden, is to plant summer crops (like beans) between the rows of spring crops (like peas) so that a small garden space can do double duty. This year, I did it!!!

Look at my little bean sprouts at the base of the pea plants!

beans sprouting between the peas
When the news is full of floods, salmonella, crop disasters... how thankful I am for the blessings from my backyard garden.

Blessed is every one that feareth the Lord; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee. Psalm 128:1 & 2

No comments: