Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cookie jar love

I collect a couple of things - candle snuffers and Ransburg pottery. The Ransburg collection began by accident. I bought a box loaded with junk (my favorite thing) at an auction. When I got home, I discovered this at the bottom of the box.

Original blue paint peeks through the flowers
The body of the jar looked like it had been swabbed in a 50's-green watery paint. The glued together lid was not a match. I had never seen anything like it and thought it was reeeeally ugly... but I didn't throw it away.

After a few weeks of wondering where to put it, I decided to clean it up and take it to a resale shop. At least I could retrieve some of my money.

Wouldn't you know, while I washed, I fell in love.

Over many years, my lonely painted-over cookie jar, was joined by better looking members of the Ransburg family.

 Fifteen year collection
Then two weeks ago I hit the mother lode. Two more cookie jars and another box of junk yielded this counter full of redness.

Wow!
Some are keepers. They are unique to my collection. Others are duplicates. I'll look for good homes for them. What's funny is, with their bumpy flowers, chipped paint, and layers of grime, I love them all.

But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

1 comment:

Joel and Marcie Fenske said...

I'm thankful that God loves me and all my imperfections too! What a good reminder... you are very good at real-life, practical analogies. AND... your new purchases are beautiful!