Thursday, June 5, 2008

Craft supplies - $3

I love it when I can snag a full box of stuff/junk at a thrift store. A couple of weeks ago, I found a great big box labeled "craft supplies - $5." I poked through it, decided that for $3 it would be useful to me and made my offer. It was promptly accepted. I couldn't wait to get home and discover what goodies were hidden inside the tangle of yarn, plastic mesh and old patterns.

With the contents of the box sorted out on my workroom floor, I found lots of unfinished projects - baby quilt blocks, all but the border neatly cross stitched; a gray plaid wool skirt, pins still holding the waistband; a plastic mesh circle, partially filled with a fluffy yarn design; bag after bag of supplies for all types of projects.

Today, the brightly colored crochet cottons in one of those bags caught my eye. I emptied the contents on my table and for a few moments savored the colors and textures.

crochet cottons
That's when I noticed this. My crafty predecessor was learning to tatt! Just a few inches of finished tatting... still attached to the shuttle.

tatting and shuttle

Did she get a phone call? Were the kids hungry and demanding lunch - now? Was there a family emergency? Did life change forever, and she lost her desire to create?

I think I'll frame this little piece of lace still attached to the shuttle as a reminder of the uncertainties of life... of well laid plans that half happen.

...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day. II Timothy 1:12

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this memory!

Anonymous said...

oh my, i have projects all around me screaming every day...no, not crafts....laundry, more dishes, another dirty sock..goodness where's the other one, someone's hair is a mess again, oh, grade another math paper?, the goat is where?, who hit who, the phone is ringing....I can't WAIT to someday focus on ONE thing at a time...till then I'll become the world's best multi-tasker....if I don't have an emotional breakdown first! HA So perhaps I should appreciate these undone "projects" and see the "why" and "what for"! cherith