Sunday, May 25, 2008

Chance meeting

There is a note that has been hanging on my refrigerator for years...
The only thing more overrated than natural childbirth, is
the joy of owning your own business.
This weekend we have been trying to break out of those self employed chains. We hopped in the car on Saturday and went to the community-wide garage sales in a little town 15 minutes north of us. We soon discovered that the only good in that activity was being out in the wonderful weather, so we headed another 15 miles north to another small town to tour antique stores.

After spending another hour or two looking at things we grew up with - I hate when they call my childhood things antiques! - we decided to stop at a sandwich shop for lunch. While standing in line, I noticed that the little group at the front of the line was from our town, old friends we hadn't seen in years!

After exchanging the expected "how are you?" and "what are you doing up here?" questions and admiring a new grandson, Bev said, "I drove past your house a few days ago... yeah, it was the day after Mother's Day. I prayed for you."

That may not seem like an earth-shaking thing to say... but I felt the enormity of that statement immediately. The day after Mother's Day, we were in an AZ, reliving the agony of losing our son. It was a day that I was greatly in need of people praying for me.

God knew. He cared. He provided.


... I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God. Psalm 40:17

No comments: