Sunday, April 20, 2008

Making changes

This may appear to be just a coffee pot...


but it is soooo much more. It was a gift from my younger son. He delivered it Thanksgiving '06, the last time he drove to Michigan from Arizona. He had purchased one of these beauties for himself and just loved it. He knew how his dad fretted over coffee getting that burned old flavor, and this perfect coffee maker, with its thermal carafe, pevented that problem. With great personal satisfaction, he handed the box to us and waited for his gift to prove itself.

Over that weekend, we gave it the coffee-lovers workout. It was indeed perfect.

We didn't know that was the last time we would ever see him... but it was. That last hug in the doorway, Thanksgiving '06, was just that... our very last hug.

And now, the perfect gift has stopped working. I don't know if it was the burden of too many pots of tasty brew, the well water here at home... or maybe the sentimental load of being such a significant gift... for whatever reason - it just doesn't work.

I bought a new coffee pot. It is white plastic - $18 at WalMart.

The Starbucks Barista Aroma Grande sits on my kitchen counter while I try to separate the object from the memory. I have a box ready... in a few days I will put the stainless steel beauty in the box and store it in the basement.

I wish I could have said a final good-bye to Grey. Instead, I'll say good-bye to a coffee pot and take comfort once again in the fact that God is never surprised.

For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, now depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so heart touching! I'd save that pot too! It's a beauty...for many reason!

cherith