Friday, February 29, 2008

Making decorations

For more than ten years I have been the chief table decorator for the monthly men's breakfast at church. It's challenging... with a bunch of rural, hunter-type men, you can't use candles or vases of flowers... it has to be manly!

So every month, I consider the season, the weather, the holidays, whatever (!), put a male twist on it and fill the centers of 4 tables... without spending money.
This month was a challenge. There is Easter... (can't do bunnies and Easter candy at church!!!). Spring is approaching... (but they ridicule flowers). There is lots of snow... (did that last month). I was coming up dry! Then this morning, out of the blue, it came to me... spring, new beginnings, fresh life! And with a goofy twist that will bring a smile to these he-men.

Here is what I did with one dozen eggs and a cut up carton,



loose silk flower heads and hot glue.

They're all set up on the table awaiting the final critique tomorrow morning.

The thing that amazes me month after month is that the ideas do come. I feel that God plops a notion in my head, often doable with materials I have on hand. It has been fun to inspire laughter and conversation among this crowd of men as they ask each other, "What was she thinking this time!"

(The Lord) satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103:5

No comments: