Monday, May 4, 2009

Princess gardening

I should be a princess gardener. You know, like the girls in Jane Austen novels, who put on long dresses and go into the garden to cut armloads of long stemmed flowers. (They always worry about being poor, but all they ever do is pick flowers and entertain guests in the parlor. Hmmm.)

Here in my real world, however, gardening is very different.

I rake and get poison ivy... that won't quit!

I plant flowers that occasionally live.

I walk outside for a leisurely stroll through the freshly planted vegetable beds, and some bug comes and bites me on the head. Not just a little mosquito-type bite, but a big oozing chunk out of my scalp!!

It's not pretty, the combination of me and the outdoors. But praise God, my peas are survivors. They are beginning to poke their little leaves through the soil.

sugar snap peas
I planted beets beside the peas.... at least I thought they were beets. When I finished planting the row, and folded up the (pictureless) seed packet, I discovered that I had just planted a row of spinach! Fortunately, spinach by any other name is still spinach. I have a curvy row of future greens coming up as well.

beets? spinach!
It may be a bumpy road, or row, but I'm not a quitter. I'll keep gardening - my style - and God will bless in spite of me. He is good, isn't He?

...the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and... watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater. Isaiah 55:10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my that is too funny! But I think we're on the same 'level'...city girls that are country girls wanna be's.

my peas, carrots, spinich, gourmet lettuce blends, herbs and flowers are in the garden...we'll see what God blesses here too! :D c. nottingham

Jessica said...

ha ha! i love it! :)

Marcie. said...

Alright, I don't feel sorry for you at all! My lettuce, in the ground now for about a month, has yet to make ANY appearance. I have decided to never again plant 10 cent seed packets! Ugh. What a waste of time... I did buy peas the other day. I'm hoping I'll have more success.