Saturday, May 2, 2009

Plans A & B

The past week was entirely different from what I had planned. The plan was that I would be playing nursemaid for my daughter, who would be recovering from minor surgery. She didn't need to have me there - I needed to be there. However, the surgery was postponed. My week, all carefully planned, loomed empty before me.

Enter, beloved husband... offering a trip to Missouri.

The famous arch
It's a long ride to Missouri, but located between here and there, is a tiny little town - pop. 722 - that holds treasures just for the finding. And boy, did I ever!

Both parts of this wonderful library card file were stacked in a back room, just waiting for me. It was love at first sight.

my wonderful cabinet
I pulled open one of the drawers to make sure everything moved smoothly... it was packed full of vintage and not-so-vintage file cards! In fact, every drawer was full.

Twelve drawers full of ephemera
But it was the price tag that sealed the deal. A little bit of haggling and this piece of history came home with me.

Ahhh... the thrill of the hunt, the joy of the catch. It has been a fun week.

...Ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. James 4:14,15

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update on daughter...wont mention names here...and what a wonderful treasure...have you ever considered having your own 'treasure finding show'?
c. nottingham

Marcie said...

Love the library file. Where in the world are you going to put it? I'm sure it will be well-used!