Friday, September 26, 2008

Good, bad and yummy!

I rarely bake anymore. There aren't enough people here to consume the goodies, so that leaves me to shoulder the responsibility of preventing wasteful living... oh...do let me be blunt! Waist-full living!!!

Today, I was the designated cook for one of our church families that just had a baby. To round out the meal (why do all these common phrases suddenly take on a second meaning when discussing dessert?!?) I decided to use some of the zucchini that is piling up here. I had a recipe from the newspaper, all the ingredients and I was cooking! Oops, baking! Between my new oven (that hasn't burned anything yet!) and a great recipe, this is the final result.


Here's the recipe... just tell yourself that this is one serving of green vegetables.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Butter and flour a 9x13x2 pan.

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used milk soured with lemon juice)
2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
1 (16 oz.) package semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Sift 2 1/4 cups flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.

In a large bowl, beat sugar, 1 stick of butter, and oil until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk, in 3 additions. Stir in zucchini.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts.

Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 50 minutes (45 minutes for me) or until tester comes out clean.

Serves 12.

Enjoy!! This cake is really good - ignore the fat grams and sugar. There has to be some fiber in there somewhere!

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth. Psalm 119:103

4 comments:

Joel and Marcie Fenske said...

Wow... that's a really long title for this cake (Chocolate Zucchini Cake butter and flour a 9x13 pan)! :0)

cHim-prints said...

Ok... that's not the way it was originally written... Blogger seems to have a mind of it's own when it comes to spacing.

Couldn't be me!

Anonymous said...

if i have another baby will you make me some?

JUST KIDDING! :D

c. nottingham

cHim-prints said...

Dear Mrs. Anonymous,
I will even give you the whole cake and not just the center pieces!!

Deal?