Saturday, September 6, 2008

Deadlines, tomatoes and the needful thing

I have a little booklet, written in 1967, that needs to be reviewed every once in while, "Tyranny of the Urgent" by Charles Hummel.

It has been on my mind the last week or two because of the incredible number of tasks that have piled up before me. Things that need attention now! Report deadlines are upon me, meetings happen, tomatoes get softer by the day....

God's provision
I should be writing an encouraging note to a friend in distress because her mother needs nursing home care. I should be sending a long overdue thank you note for gifts I received. I should be writing... but these things can wait, and so they do.

I often think of Mary, sitting at the feet of Jesus, straining to hear His every word over the noise of the crowd gathered in her house. I wonder, how could she push aside the sight of hungry people in her own home who were waiting for food to be served? How did she ignore the exasperation of her sister who needed help in the kitchen?

But, most importantly, how did Jesus respond when Martha demanded Mary's help?

"Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41,42)

Priorities... One thing is needful. One thing.

No comments: