Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Transparency and glue - do I like it?

The final experiment in the Glues and Mediums section of the Image Transfer Workshop is the transparency glued on. This method is uncomplicated...
  • print image(s) on transparency
  • cut the desired size
  • apply gel medium to the background substrate
  • lay transparency print side down on gel
  • smooth out the image with your hand or a brayer
  • wait until it's dry
The hardest part for me is always choosing the image to use. I finally decided on a black leaf shape in two sizes. Because I am using a transparency for ink jet printers, I needed to let the print dry for 30 minutes and then spray the printed side with a workable fixative. This picture is the (textured) printed side after the fixative has been applied.
 

I applied the images to three different surfaces - a small piece of cardstock with multiple layers of book paper applied, a  60 lb. piece of painted paper , and a contents page from a vintage atlas (slightly heavier than the 60lb paper).  The process worked perfectly. No air bubbles. No shifting ink.

L to R - painted atlas page, 60 lb. painted paper, collaged cardstock

After waiting a day to make sure the gel was completely dry, it was time for an honest evaluation.

I didn't care for the glossy sheen that made the transfer the center of attention. I tried the suggestion of painting the image with gesso/water mixture. That did help to tone down the shiny area.

On the lighter weight paper, the transparency caused the paper to curl. It would definitely be an issue to remember whenever planning to use this process.

My favorite is the collaged cardstock. That is something that will be a usable piece with some more tweaking.

The conclusion? I am quite sure that this method will not become a vital part of my bag of tricks. The author's sample included in the book is interesting, but it just isn't a technique that appeals to me.

The next section of the book covers Heat.  Hmmm - should be interesting!

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 5:16

No comments: