Thursday, September 14, 2017

Transfers using paint

This turned out so much better than I expected.

I was unsure about color and subject and background ... would the color be too dark/light? would the image show up through the paint? where, oh where could I find an interesting image? In the end, I went for a couple of background papers on the table, a random magazine page with plums, and paint that was color wheel approved. It is just an experiment after all!

The magazine photo - shown here - was simple. Carefully spaced plums on a near white background.


For both samples, I used watercolor paper that had been stamped with watercolors. A few weeks ago, before I decided to work my way through the Image Transfer Workshop book in organized fashion, I had added a dry gel transfer to this first trial piece. Over all of that, I applied blue acrylic paint approximately the same size as my magazine cut out, applied the same paint to the magazine piece, brayered the two together and waited for the required drying time.


The procedure was the same for the second background (similarly watercolored paper only, but with gel skin transfer pieces added). Acrylic paint sandwich, brayer and wait for it to dry. The came the usual sand lightly, mist with water, and rub with fingertips.


I don't understand why ... so far it's a foreign language, but I like these. I love the way the transfers are clear and sharp. I am looking forward to trying more, with different colors and subjects. Maybe even BIG! Now that might be interesting!!!

Next up - Transparency with Gel.

Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

No comments: