Friday, October 7, 2011

What did you do today?

Oh, thank you for asking. I have been dying to tell. I bought pork bellies and made bacon!

Why?

Well... give me a recipe with 1) a weird name (think Hot Mummix); 2) an unusual mix of ingredients; or 3) a way to make something unhealthy into something (somewhat) healthy, and I am all over it.

And, let me ask you a question - have you ever heard of pork bellies anywhere except on the noon farm report?

Thus challenged, I walked into the meat shop, thinking they might laugh at me looking for pork bellies, but, not so! They simply asked "how many pounds?" and "with or without the skin?" (That last question threw me, so I tried to look intelligent and asked, what do you think?)

This is how I started the long process of making bacon from fresh pork belly (which is the meat on the underside of the pig - not a pig's stomach!) -

Buy 2# of fresh pork belly - without the skin, thank you.




Mix together kosher salt, brown sugar and pepper.




Spread about half the salt mixture evenly in a large pan. Place the meat in the center of the pan and gently press it into the salt mix.




Pack the remaining salt mixture over and around the pork.




Refrigerate, uncovered, for 6 to 7 days.

There is one more waiting period after the meat comes out of the salt. So, in two weeks, I hope to report that we are loving our nitrate-free, home-cured bacon. 

And if I don't report?  Be kind... please?

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord. Psalm 27:14

5 comments:

Jessica said...

WOW! Can you share a bit of your patience with me please?? I am impressed!

Anonymous said...

PORK BELLY!! I have roasted one - scored the fat and pressed the goodness of spices into it, roasted, and enjoyed the crispy fat/tender pork combination. They are VERY hard to come by where I live. I have to travel at least an hour to find one - and I mean ONE. *sigh* You are a lucky girl! Looking forward to seeing how your experiment turns out.

cHim-prints said...

Dear Anonymous... I had no idea that pork belly was hard to get... anywhere!!

I would love to try the roasting and spicing. Sounds wonderful. I need details!

cHim-prints said...

Jessica - I guess when it comes to raw pork, it's not so hard to have patience. *grin*

Anonymous said...

Oops! Forgot to sign my post to you. I'll get you the recipe on regular e-mail. It's so good, but you have to like the bacony goodness of the pork fat. It just tastes less "preserved".
- Laura