Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The lavender plant

When life moves too quickly, this blogspot gets neglected. Details disappear into the blur of "hurry!"... soon forgotten, because they were never recorded. The blur continues, but I will not let it swallow all the moments of today.

Even though I have never enjoyed gardening, there are a few plants in the yard that I love. One is my lavender plant. I had reduced many a lavender to straw before this specimen came home with me. I plopped it into the last place in the yard that seemed to fit the description on the tag. In view of its age... the tag was right.

During the winter, leaves and debris smooshed (all right... so how would you spell it?) their way in, around and through the branches of the plant, so this afternoon I cleaned it out.


Unfortunately, to remove all of the mess, I had to really push that plant around. The thick woody stems were fine, but many tender leaves and branches were bruised in the process. I was enveloped in the sweet aroma of lavender.

I couldn't help but make the spiritual comparison. Do my roots go deep, or is my growth just under the surface, weak and feeble? Am I strong enough to survive a spring cleaning by the "Master Gardener"? When I am bruised or broken is the immediate response a sweet smelling savor?

Despite the dirty dirt, sitting in that lavender scented cloud was good for me, body and soul.


Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; and walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savor. Ephesians 5:1,2

1 comment:

Laurie said...

AMEN!!!