Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Curwen Press Miscellany and me

Curwen Press... have you ever heard of it?

Last week I spent a few days on a road trip with my dearly beloved. Because there are many miles involved, we change the view by stopping at an occasional antique store.

That's where I discovered Curwen Press.

In a stifling second-floor room of a small town antique store, I found this.


I flipped through it and loved the few pages I saw.




It wasn't until I got home that I saw this...


... and decided that before I started cannibalizing the book for art to frame, I should do a little research.

Surprise! Curwen Press has a fascinating history, and I hold a rare piece of that history in my hands. Not to worry... I've changed my plans for cutting it up.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that shopping is a waste of time. I find it to be very enlightening!

... for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. I Samuel 16:7

3 comments:

Carol Tracy said...

Hey Barb! Did you realize that the copy you have is one that was not for sale? They kept the first segment of books for "presentation" and the rest were sold, but all were numbered.

Yours was a presentation book!

Awesome find!

Only you....

cHim-prints said...

Carol - I can't see that the number adds up to this being a presentation book. At least not my understanding of what a presentation book is.

But you're right...it is an awesome find.

Marcie said...

Those pics are beautiful. I'm happy it's so valuable, but sad that you can't chop it up and frame it!