Friday, June 11, 2010

The good... and the bad

The lavender plant in my front yard is flourishing since my cleaning session a couple of days ago. It is covered with fresh buds - which is good news, because at the precise moment of ripe-but-not-quite-open, I will harvest them for our family favorite, Lavender Lemonade.

The first year I made this, I was sure the grandkids would all refuse a beverage as unfamiliar as lavender lemonade. I was so wrong. It was a hit with all who tasted. Lavender lemonade joined the list of must-serves, right next to the black bean salsa.

I've decided to share the recipe. Just make sure that your lavender buds are edible - that is, pesticide free! (note: the ratio for substituting fresh for dry - 3 to 1)


The beautiful glasses and the garnishes are nice... but optional.

The bad?

I have poison ivy. Buried in those dead, dry, autumn leaves somewhere I brushed against the wicked menace. It's not too bad. (Praise God) I will survive. But thank you for gasping.

Wherefore doth a living man complain for the punishment of his sins? Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the Lord. Lamentations 3:39,40

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Yum!!! I can taste it now!!! Makes me wish July 4th was already here. Everyone coming as usual?

Marcie said...

Laurie talked about this in an email. I am so pumped to have the recipe b/c I have lavendar bushes FULL of blooms. Oh, I hope your PI doesn't turn into leprosy again. Ugh.