Friday, February 19, 2010

Pizza!

Is there anything better than homemade pizza?

In this house that concept has evolved over many years. My kids used to inhale pan after pan of homemade pizza (white flour crust, mostly tomato paste sauce, and whatever cheese was in the house). It was my first attempt at making pizza from scratch and we all loved it.

Change #1 - I found a recipe for “any-grain crust.” This recipe quickly replaced the original white version. Pizza was now healthier (and tastier) than ever before.

Change #2 – In the midst of a bumper crop of tomatoes, I discovered a recipe for pizza sauce. It wasn’t a slap-dash thing like doctored tomato paste. There was an hour or so of chopping, measuring and simmering. It was worth every minute. “Yummo” does not begin to describe it.


Change #3 – I discovered asiago cheese. I really don’t need to say anything else. If you still eat pizza with mozzarella cheese – what’s the matter with you? You have not lived until you make your pizza with asiago. Occasionally, I mix asiago with other cheeses, but that would only be because a) we have company, or b) we don’t have enough asiago in the house. (Besides, asiago is such a fun word to say.)

Want to join me in pizza heaven? Here's the recipe for a whole grain crust.

Choose your grain pizza crust
1-1/2 to 2 cups white flour - divided
3/4 cup whole wheat, rye or oat flour (I like the WW best)
1/4 cup cornmeal or toasted wheat germ (ditto - cornmeal)
1 pkg yeast (1 generous tsp if you buy bulk)
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 Tbsp cooking oil

In a mixer bowl combine 3/4 cup white flour, [whole wheat, rye or oat] flour and [cornmeal or wheat germ], yeast, and salt. Stir in water and oil.

Beat at low speed for 1/2 minute. Scrape the bowl and beat at high speed for 3 minutes. With a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining white flour as you can.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and Knead in enough remaining white flour to make a moderately stiff dough. (approx. 5 minutes)

Divide the dough in half. Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes.

On lightly floured surface roll each dough half into a 13" circle (or whatever shape you want), transfer to greased pans. Pinch the edges to make a rim. Pierce all over with a fork. Bake in 425 degree oven for about 12 minutes. (At this point the crusts can be cooled, wrapped and frozen to use later. Thaw and continue recipe when ready to use.)

Top the crust with desired ingredients. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes. Makes 2 pizzas.

Although my dearly beloved would wish for meat of some kind, I'm content with adding some caramelized onions and a few chopped kalamata olives. Best pizza ever.

We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us therewith be content. I Timothy 6:7,8

3 comments:

The Jackson's Journey said...

Sounds delicious and I will have to try your recipe. I love pizza and the healthier the better.

Beth said...

Love the verses!!....pizza sounds great too.

Marcie said...

I can vouch for the flavor... you really do make the best homemade pizza! I remember inhaling it as a child. Yum, yum, yum!