Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lesson from the table

Let me tell you about my grandma's table.

Grandma lived in a big brick house. In the living room, in the bay window, behind the couch, under an enormous, gangly plant, stood grandma's table. Its purpose was to take up space and catch the overflow from the careless watering of the "monster plant". No one paid any attention to the table. It was just there... holding the plant and catching water.

Years passed. Grandma moved to her heavenly home, her house left the family, and the table moved in with me. I tucked the abused table in an inconspicuous spot, pulling it out only when big family dinners called for extra seating.

A few weeks ago, I wanted to rearrange the living room, which of course, involved furniture in three rooms, including grandma's table. It was a perfect fit in front of the window in my kitchen.


This new location caused me to see the table. It's beautiful! The water stains now take a back seat to the incised designs around the turned legs.


"So what?" you say. This is what... the lesson learned from grandma's table.

There are times when life is too busy. A million things have to be done right now, or even better, yesterday. Add to that, laundry, cooking, cleaning.... I run through my days, attacking the "water stains" and missing the beauty.

It's time for some rearranging... time to step back, clear away the clutter, and see the loveliness of the life God has given me.

Aaahhh... God is good.

Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. Isaiah 45:22

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I have been pondering this very thought! I was bothered by how ungrateful my kids are when they have so much. They don't realize how blessed they are to have meals 3x/day, married parents, shoes that fit, etc. Then... I thought about how I don't appreciate all that God provides for me! (Beauty in nature, children, inner peace, etc.)