Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gourmet lemons

I have an experiment going... Preserved Lemons with North African Spices. These lovely jars of color require 4-6 weeks of rest after packing, so at the moment they are decorating my kitchen. June 30 is the "due date".


Fortunately, Penzey's had every spice I needed.


The lemons have one task while they "rest" - to sit and soak up all the flavors in the jar. My job is to "give them a good shake every once in a while to remind them that (I am) waiting." (a quote from the recipe)

And yet... there are questions buzzing like little gnats around the edges of my mind. Questions like - At the end of the 4-6 weeks, will I know whether of not they are rotten? Who will take that first taste?

I'll keep you posted.

The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in Him. Lamentations 3:24

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb -- I am wondering what the soaked lemons are for. When finished absorbing all these flavors, do you use the lemons in things, or slice them as a "side?" My love of lemons makes me want to be there when you try the first one. Mom

cHim-prints said...

Only one part of the preserved lemon is used in food - the peel. (That's why the recipe recommended using organic lemons.) The pulp is removed and the peel is sliced into "long graceful strips, or chopped into a small dice." I have one recipe that specifically calls for preserved lemon. I'll be on the lookout for more. :>)