Friday, August 25, 2017

Image transfers with Con-Tact Paper

I used the real thing. No off-brand allowed. It had to be the best. Specifically, it was the transparent matte Con-Tact Paper.

This time I stayed with black and white images, keeping background use in mind. The first trial shape was from a photo of a welcome mat, all scrolly and beautiful. (Inspiration is everywhere!) I placed the Con-Tact paper on the image and burnished as instructed with my bone folder. So far, so good.

The next step was to lightly sand the back of the image paper, mist with water and rub off the wet paper with my fingers. I always start that process gently, until I get the feel for how much pressure it will take to remove all the paper. This time, the end result wasn't so great. You can plainly see the paper residue.


So I rubbed a little longer and a little harder. That's when I could clearly see that the ink was smudging. 


I placed the transfer on two different background papers, just to see how it would look if I decided to use it for something. The look is ok, but for me, the Con-Tact paper is just too thick to be part of a final product that I would enjoy.


I went through identical steps with a fish image. The results were the same - smudged ink and too much paper residue. I say ink, but both the fish and the scrolly images were from a laser printer. That means toner. Toner doesn't normally smudge.

Con-Tact transfer on the right

I doubt that I will ever use this method again. I am happy to know why. It is my goal to use all of these trial pieces in some way. The two transfers shown in this post will most likely gather a lot of dust before they end up in the wastebasket. 

Next time - direct gel, gesso and caulk transfers.

O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.   Psalm 71:17

No comments: