Thursday, May 31, 2012

Why am I doing this?

If I hurry, I can get one more post in before May is history. Where did the month go?

We have a small veggie garden, planted and waiting for rain. After years of planting things like turnips, eggplant, and beets (with only minor success and even less pleasure) we made the decision to quit playing with plants we don't really like and stick with the basics. So ... this year I have tomatoes, green peppers, and green beans. Ok, ok, I do have one jalapeno plant. That's my nod to unusual.

I pulled out my sewing machine again. I'm trying not to get over-committed to sewing projects that don't fit or look like the pictures (see discussion above about unsuccessful veggie choices), but I do need a new Bible cover. I've worn out the old one - even my vintage buttons are breaking in pieces - so I'm hard at work on an improved version. Hopefully, I will be happy enough with the outcome to show pictures... soon.

I did make a 20-minute-skirt a week ago. It didn't take 20 minutes. I made some adjustments to the instructions (I just gotta be me!) and it's ok. Of course I haven't worn it yet. I don't have one single thing that goes with it. It probably would have been a good idea to consider that when picking fabric. *sigh*

I have been making some note cards. It has been my goal to create a design that could be printed - one step, easy, fast. The problem is that what I really like are card fronts that are layered with colorful paper, and then finished off with some hand stamping/embellishment. It's just not right when it's fast.

We had grilled pizza this week. Last time I made it, it was wonderful! So this time, I used a different crust recipe. (I am my own worst enemy.)  Too bad that when we tried to peel the raw dough from the (suggested) waxed paper, it stretched and ripped into the most grotesque shapes! Well, where's the rule that says pizza crust has to have a shape? Or not be holey?



I'm pondering these fleeting moments of life. The whys and the who-fors. What is accomplished of eternal value? How much is for the eyes of mankind?  And I'm trying to stay honest.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men. Colossians, 3:23

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I do wish we lived closer as I am sure we would be fast friends....Your posts are always so close to my own thoughts and this one is no exception....

Love the face on this piece...

Anonymous said...

Barb - what if you created a fantastic layered and colorful card, took a picture of it, and printed cards from the photo?? Would that be enough of a compromise between layered and colorful yet one-step easy? I can't wait to see what you come up with . . . as always.
- Laura (sister!)