Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The birthday party

The date was set weeks ago. April 9th. In between soccer, softball and social calendars, we managed to find an afternoon for a double birthday celebration.

Since this was happening at my house, and I like schedule (it can be loose, but there needs to be a plan!), I made a short mental list - food/cakes, presents, crafty project.


At precisely almost 3:30, we began the festivities by taking pictures,

Sorry Em, but this was too funny!
(perhaps too many?)


and went on to inhale food, sing loudly while candle covered cakes were delivered to the table, and watch the enthusiastic unwrapping of presents.


While mommies washed everything from great-great-great gramma's crystal goblets to great gramma's dessert forks, 5 eager crafter's raced me to the workroom to start decorating bobby pins.

I thought there would be a need for finished samples and hands-on help. Silly me. I had only enough time to say "Here are the bobby pins..." before they were hard at work.


A heart-warming thing for me was their immediate attraction to my bounty of old buttons. Those precious party girls may not look much like their Gramma B, but we share the gene that produces a deep love for old buttons.

I'm embarrassed to admit that in all the busy-ness, I forgot to take pictures of finished projects. They were beautiful. The girls used black velvet center buttons, and shaped buttons that were spritzed, painted and/or rubbed with colors.

Looking back, it was a day of changes - youth puts on age, old becomes new, anticipation becomes memory. Sweet... wa-a-a-y beyond cake!

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8

1 comment:

Jessica said...

what a cute party!!