Thursday, February 24, 2011

Powerless

Sometime in the wee morning hours of Monday, the ice, snow, freezing rain, more ice, and sleet, did a number on the trees and power lines in our neighborhood. We woke up to silence... no hum of a furnace... no alarm clocks beeping... no phone... nothing.

The heavy layer of ice covered everything. Everything!




The sun began to shine late in the afternoon on day two of our power-free adventure. The sparkling ice was beautiful...


...but I would have traded the view in an instant for the hum of a furnace... for a light switch to do something when I touched it... for my automatic life to return.

I shouldn't complain. We stayed warm. We had great food prepared on our wood burning cook stove. (I even baked in the oven!) The generator kept our freezer frozen and our fridge cold.

This morning, normal came back to live with us. How nice.

Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! Psalm 107:31

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Yes, it's beautiful but when you don't have your modern conveniences it changes how we view things......So glad you had a generator and a stove and that your power has been restored.....

I think sometimes God wants to remind us that all comes from Him and to have a heart of gratitude for our blessings. At least, I think He's been whispering that in my ear.....

I hope you have a warm and great weekend....

Jessica said...

Wow - that is awesome! Seriously beautiful :)