Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Books, wonderful books!

I have been buying books.

In the usual book store setting, there are consumers standing, kneeling and/or sitting in between shelves as they leaf through stiff new books. Music plays softly in the background. The loudest voices belong to people ordering a latte - or some other beverage bearing a five word name.

But wait! There is another world of books out there. Surrounded by tattered VHS boxes and just across from the used shoes (nose plugs, please), you can find old books, new books, autographed memoirs and antique beauties. They are all for sale... often for the change in your pocket.

Last week, while wandering through antique stores and thrift shops, I acquired this mountain of words.


With every book, I flipped through the pages to make sure it was what I wanted. I knew that there was crayon in the textbook and that the spine on the dictionary was coming off.

But, flipping does not tell the entire story. Imagine my surprise to find these...


tucked into the pages of the ancient dictionary.

I really got my $1.20 worth, didn't I?

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

No comments: