Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Blackberry-Apple Upside-Down Cake

I have this fantasy, that after many hours in the kitchen, I float into the dining room looking like this, my hands filled with fresh-baked goodness.




But, reality being what it is, my apron at the end of a baking session is not all starched and sparkling clean. And I do not float into the dining room, because I'm busy waving a towel under the smoke alarm to stop the incessant beeping! 

Though there will never be a real picture of yours truly baking, I will show proof that a scrumptious Blackberry-Apple Upside-Down Cake came out of my oven last week. Ta-da!!




The recipe is practically foolproof. (I know. I tried several times to ruin it and it was still wonderful!) You must try it.

Blackberry-Apple Upside-Down Cake
3/4 cup butter, softened and divided
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 large Gala apples, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (do not thaw if using frozen)
    (or substitute 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a lightly greased 9" round cake pan (with 2" sides) over low heat. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with brown sugar; drizzle honey over brown sugar. arrange apple slices in concentric circles over brown sugar mixture, overlapping as needed. Sprinkle with berries.

With an electric mixer, beat granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 cup butter at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating till blended after each addition.

In another bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Beginning and ending with flour mixture, add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Spoon batter over blackberries in the pan.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen. Invert the cake onto a serving plate, spooning any topping left in the pan over the cake.

Soooo good!

... he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15

4 comments:

Nancy said...

It's looks delicious; I'll be right over...by the way, is there any left...If so, I will try one myself.....

The trick is to wear one apron while you're cooking and put on a fresh one when you are ready to serve plus applying a fresh coat of lipstick is a must...hhaha
When you do this, I want a picture....

cHim-prints said...

Nancy - It was too yummy to wait for company. Sorry.

And please! Do NOT hold your breath waiting for that picture... I'd have to find my lipstick!

Tammy said...

Ohhhhhhh.......looks deeeeelish! Can't wait to try it! :D

Beth said...

oh dear sister....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whenever I see you....you look exactly like that picture!!And....I am sure your dear husband sees the same thing as I do. :-)