Friday, March 11, 2011

Thrift store books

When I enter a thrift store, my first question is, "where are the books?" I love perusing the shelves, looking for a well worn, beautiful cover to be repurposed, or pages that beg to be part of a collage... for the right price, of course.

Lest you think I have forgotten my poultry month, read on.

Several months ago, I found an early 80's elementary reading book, filled with great art. Right in the middle of all the new stories was the old favorite, The Little Red Hen. I did a mental review of the story while I was making bread today and discovered that I couldn't remember exactly how it ended.


Surely the Red Hen shared. She couldn't have been that vengeful.

So, I grabbed the book and reread the story. And yes... yes she was. She was that vengeful! Wow.

Which brought to mind this verse - Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and running over, shall men give (to you). For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured unto you again. Luke 6:38

Although this principle would not be easy for anyone in the Little Red Hen's shoes, my heart tells me it's a better choice.

No comments: