Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Beauty

I am a title holder!

Nooooo, silly you, it's not Miss America. It's "Superior Non-Gardener". So, many moons ago when we moved into this house, I donned my sash and crown and began the adventure of trying to learn what the plants were that grew around our house - plants that popped out of the ground, blossomed, disappeared and then repeated the process year after year. With the help of a huge flower book, I managed to identify some of the growth.

One of my favorites was a hydrangea bush - a PeeGee Hydrangea. Big heavy blossoms covered the bush, starting out ivory, gaining a pink tinge as they matured. When we tried drying them, they turned the color of ancient parchment. I loved that bush.

But, eventually, you have to make a house work. My beloved bush had been planted in front of an exterior door (that the former owners obviously never used) and a set of steps replaced the beautiful old bush.

I tried relocating the hydrangea, but it died. Survival of the fittest is a law of life - and my title was wa-a-a-y more hardy than that bush.

A few years ago, I found another hydrangea. Clearance priced (wouldn't lose much if it died), nice and green (health on its side), so I bought it.

Two days ago, I found this...

Photo completely untouched
It's not exactly like the original, but it's beautiful. I'm so happy. Can you feel my smile?

Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice: and let men say among the nations, The Lord reigneth. I Chronicles 16:31

3 comments:

Beth said...

Wow! What a beauty! I wish you were a bit closer so I could rush right over and start taking pictures! I truly understand why you are smiling. It is hard not to smile when looking at something beautiful...created for our pleasure by the God who loves us.

Joel and Marcie Fenske said...

I am GREEN with envy. Hee-Hee.
I have 3 hydrangea bushes (planted 2 summers ago) that still don't flower beautifully like that. I'm thinking that perhaps they like only partial sun. When it's really sunny out, mine always droop over.

Jessica said...

hydrangeas are my favorite! i just found out i'll have a garden of my own to take care of in the house we are renting in scotland...what our landlords obviously do not realize is that there is no such thing as a garden in arizona. i am just hoping not to kill everything while we are there! :)