Thursday, October 12, 2017

Bummer ... twice!

Moving into the heat transfer section of the book, Image Transfer Workshop, has been disappointing. The first heat project was with fusible web. That was in my sewing stash, so I was all set to go. I followed the directions exactly, put the taped webbing into the inkjet printer, hit print and immediately I knew there was trouble.


I figured out how to pull the mangled mess out of the depths of the machine and on the spot vowed never to try that again. Never. I vowed.

That took such a brief time that I decided to move right in to the next heat project, fabric crayons. Again the sewing stash provided the goods and I got busy laying paper first on a stencil, then on texture plates and rubbing with the fabric crayons.



Following directions again -
  • iron -no steam, medium heat
  • towel on ironing board, covered with parchment paper
  • crayon covered shapes - face down on selected background paper 
  • another layer of parchment paper
  • iron away!
The results were disappointing. Especially with the red to yellow colored crayons. The blues and purples showed up much better. And still, the overall effect was not worth the extra steps.

the best of the red-orange-yellow patterns

The best of the deep green-blue-purple patterns

Eliminating possibilities is so much better than constantly wondering, would this transfer improve my artwork? The tips that are included were helpful. I tried many different surfaces for the transfers. The ones pictured are the best.

Onward I go. Can't wait to get into the next pages.

I will praise thee O Lord, with my whole heart; I will show forth all thy marvellous works. Psalm 9:1

No comments: