Saturday, October 21, 2017

I am ready to jump ahead ...

Continuing through the Image Transfer Workshop this week brought me to the section using the Heat Tool. The authors noted that if you didn't own a heat tool that an iron would work just as well.

I do have a heat tool. I printed several toner copies of items that would make interesting transfers, heated up the tool, read the directions and got busy. The directions were simple. Place the image face down on background paper, apply the heat with slow circular motions, and check the progress of the transfer by lifting a corner of the paper.

The first few attempts produced nothing ... the paper was warm, but there was no transfer of toner at all. I changed the background paper and the image, and produced three transfers that were acceptable. I even got a "ghost" image using one of the line drawings twice. (bottom right)


So, for the next two transfers I tried similar weight paper that had been stained or very lightly sprayed with ink. I circled the only place that the transfer worked - even though I kept moving the heat tool for a very long time.


The last attempt was even less successful. The only part of the image that moved to the background paper was the base of the fan. Again, I was very patient and spent a long time with the heat tool trying to make something wonderful happen.


The results were disappointing. And in the midst of all the circling of the heat tool, I asked myself, What is the point of all the steps?  For me, this is not a process that is worth all of the extra effort.

The next five transfer examples in the book that use heat involve - fabric, iron-on transfer sheets, liquid polymer, plastic wrap, and finally polymer clay. Yes, I do have the necessary materials involved in each project. No, I'm not interested in any of items produced with these techniques.

So ... I am moving ahead. The next section of the book explains how to use solvents for transfers. The first one is the blender marker. I'll do these while the weather is still nice enough to have open windows! *cough*cough*

 ... be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is the good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  Romans 12:2

No comments: