Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Chili powder DIY

Twenty plus years ago, I discovered the world of super fresh spices. Through all these years I have stayed with one company that supplied me with any spice for any recipe that looked intriguing. I was a faithful and very loyal customer.

But now, the search is on for a new seller of spices. Who knew finding an excellent spice merchant could be so difficult? I discovered that chili powder is a good way to gauge a merchant's product line.

My first order in new territory included "medium hot chili powder". I was concerned that one man's "medium hot" might be another's "HOT!", so I ordered the smallest amount. It was bland to the point of being tasteless.

Back to the computer for another search - this time, DIY chili powder. Did you know that some chili powders have a paprika base, while others use a variety of chilies? (I immediately understood the makeup of my bland experience.) I narrowed my recipe choices to 4, read each one very carefully and picked the one that looked most promising.

hot! hot! hot! Fortunately the test batch was very small, so I adjusted the next batch to my idea of "medium". Wow. I think I have reached chili perfection right in my own kitchen. (Original recipe here)



I'm still working from my supply of excellent spices from my former supplier, but some things are getting very low. A serious hunt is on for a new spice home.

I do love tasty food. 

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matthew 5:6

1 comment:

Nancy said...

WOW I had no idea you were a chef....Using fresh spices says to me you are a wonderful cook and enjoy cooking delicious food. Your family is blessed.....I hope you find your new source. And thanks for the chili recipe, I am definitely going to try it....