Saturday, March 7, 2015

Oh deer...

February was cold ... and snowy ... and windy ... and icy... Overall, a month not friendly to man or beast. On occasion during those nasty days, I wondered how the deer were faring with their usual available food buried under snow.

I learned just exactly how well they manage a few days ago.
 

 Just to give a true sense of the amount of damage, this picture shows my dearly-beloved spraying deer repellent to try to save the what's left of the trees.


We heard from a neighbor that she saw a large herd of deer in our yard gathered around the smaller trees. She took pictures. (I silently wished that she had yelled, banged a pan, anything to scare them off!)

I've heard that cutting hair spurs growth. It feels like cutting the grass has the same effect. Hopefully the principle holds true with trees and this winter "pruning" will plump them up.

In the meantime... they look quite strange!

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is. Jeremiah 17:7

1 comment:

Nancy said...

They certainly had a feast on the lower parts of your trees. I certainly hope you can save them...We have had a problem in the mountains with the deer eating my hostas, flowers, etc. and the only thing that works keeping them away is human 'pee' ....I know gross but I get my grand boys to pee in a cup and then we pour it around the hosta.....If I've given you too much information, I am sorry....
Maybe spring will come soon and they will be able to get to food covered by snow....I hope you are having a good weekend....