Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Green calendar

Waste always bothers me. This must be the reason that mixed media makes my heart sing. All papers, books, rusty pieces of metal, rejects, leftovers, and junk around my workroom - and life - can be reused! Nothing gets thrown away.  *sigh*  It's a blessing... and a curse.

A few of months ago, my friend (who owns a learning store) informed me that she had brand new, outdated school year calendars. "Could you possibly use them for something?" Of course I said yes, and she handed over the boxes.

That's right ... boxes.


Nearly 50 colorful shrink wrapped brand new old calendars.


Ideas... that's what I needed. Inspiration for sensible ways to use them up. OK, scratch sensible from the last sentence. Here's what happened. TJ Maxx let me down this past year. For years they have sold lovely arty desk calendars. I always bought one for myself to keep track of daily minutia. This year they had none... zero... nada. The big bookstores still carried them for full price, but what's the fun in that? I told myself that I didn't need one.

I was wrong.

Therefore, on a January home-alone evening, I sat down with one of the (four dozen+) free 2009-2010 desk calendars and Wite-Out. That part was easy - and long. The hard part was keeping my mind focused during the re-labeling. It doesn't seem that difficult to count from 1 to 28-31. Thank goodness the Wite-Out was right there. *sigh*


I glued some colorful paper scraps to the front, added washi tape, and stapled a tag to identify the year. 


Is it lovely? No. Does it work? Yes. Will I live long enough to use these books up this way? Never. Here's the bright side -  it didn't cost me anything and it is unique. (I know... I laugh too, every day when I use it.)

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts. Proverbs 21:2

No comments: